B.A. Honours (King's College) 1992, LL.B. (UVic) 1995, LL.M. (Toronto) 1999
Professor Newcombe joined the UVic Faculty of Law in 2002. Prior to that, he articled and practised as an associate with Swinton & Co. (now Miller Thomson) in Vancouver. After pursuing his LL.M., he worked with the International Arbitration and Public International Law groups at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in Paris. Professor Newcombe teaches International Trade and Investment Law, International Commercial Law and Arbitration, Contract Law, and Commercial and Consumer Law. His research currently focuses on international investment law and arbitration. Professor Newcombe created and maintains ita (Investment Treaty Arbitration, at http://www.italaw.com), which is a leading international research website focused on international investment treaty law and arbitration. His book Law and Practice of Investment Treaties: Standards of Treatment (co-authored with Lluís Paradell) was published in February 2009 by Kluwer Law International. Professor Newcombe is a regular contributor to KluwerArbitrationBlog.
Professor Newcombe is currently on leave from the Faculty of Law until June 30, 2013.
Faculty of Law, University of Victoria
PO Box 1700, STN CSC
Victoria, BC, V8W 2Y2
Email: Andrew Newcombe
- The Private Law Process: Contracts - 108A
- Commercial and Consumer Law - 314
- International Trade Law - 332
- International Arbitration - 377
- Andrew Newcombe's curriculum vitae (PDF document, July 2010)
Professor Andrew Newcombe published Law and Practice of Investment Treaties: Standards of Treatment with Dr. Lluís Paradell in February 2009. The table of contents and first chapter of the text are available on Professor Newcombe’s Investment Treaty Arbitration (ita) website.
Recent publications by Professor Andrew Newcombe:
- Book review of G. Van Harten, Investment Treaty Arbitration and Public Law (2008) 71 Modern Law Review 147.
- Sustainable Development and Investment Treaty Law (2007) 8 Journal of World Investment and Trade 357.
- Book review of Denial of Justice in International Law
(2006) 17:3 EJIL 692.
- "The Boundaries of Regulatory Expropriation in International Law"
(2005) 20:1 ICSID Review - FILJ 1.
- Canada's New Foreign Investment Protection Agreement,
published in TDM, Vol. 2 - Issue 1, January 2005.